Thursday, April 5, 2012

Boston City.

Leaving New York City always seems like a good idea to me but never materializes because I'm too broke to fly to the badass places I'd love to visit and because I'm lazy. Mostly because I'm lazy. Sitting around and pretending to be working hard on my passion isn't very fun but it requires very little effort and planning. It just requires sitting, staring, and a little bit of lying/exaggerating. I'll take it.

This past weekend I got my ass on a bus and made the long-procrastinated trip to Boston/Cambridge to visit Conor. We've been good friends since high school and I'm always curious to see how much old friends' lives differ from my own. What I'm doing (nothing, I just moved to a different city to not do it in) is a lot different than what most people I know do. Conor decided to pursue his goals by continuing his education at Harvard and rack up design competition wins, an awesome diverse group of friends, and continue a stellar academic career. He's going to do big things. He's all in. And I couldn't be more proud of the guy.

I got to Cambridge at about 1 a.m. and met up with Conor at a house party. He warned me that parties at Harvard tend to be toned down versions of the parties we frequented in Urbana but I couldn't have cared less. I saw 2 or 3 thin-enough girls that looked like they might talk to me if I was smooth enough/quick enough to corner them and that's always more than enough for me. In reality, the only girl I talked to was extremely weird and I only stayed in the conversation to be nice. Yes. I can lie and plaster on a smile with the best of them. Don't let all the bitterness and bullshit that comes out of my face fool you. The night was a success. I got to meet Conor's crew and get an idea of how the future leaders of the world (that's what Harvard graduates are right?) get down on a Friday night.

Me and Jan hanging out with Dongsei, Luke, and Kees. These guys work on projects when they're hungover. I can't even do that when I'm not hungover.
On Saturday, Conor gave me a quick tour around Boston and we met up with another Northside College Prep graduate, Mr. Lew Jan. Conor and Jan hadn't seen each other since high school so there was a lot of catching up to do which basically meant Conor and I listened to Jan talk for 2 days straight. Seriously. If he didn't eat $95.00 worth of Indian food on Saturday night, I would say it was the most impressive thing I saw him do. $95.00. Now let's spend a few minutes laughing at what he liked to do on his wedding day.

If you have a bald/Polish fetish then go nuts. You deserve it.
The best thing I did in Boston was go to a Celtics-Heat game. Originally we had no plans to go to a game but since tickets were offered and we well-rested after a calm Saturday night, it seemed like a great idea. When else would I get the opportunity to see two teams I despise kill each other? Actually, probably every day since I hate every team that isn't from Chicago.

The Garden's atmosphere is seriously unmatched. I love the Bulls but I think there is something kind of shitty about the United Center. It feels like a mall and the way it's lit makes me feel like I'm there to see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra instead of Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, and the rest of the boys from The Chicago Fucking Bulls (excluding Carlos Boozer, I'm never there to see that bum). I also think WGN has something to do with my opinion of the United Center. Stacey King is amazing but their broadcasts are way too quiet. It sounds as if 14 people and Boozer are the only ones that are mic'd. The Garden felt far different. Everything was really well lit, the stupid games they played on the JumboTron were far more entertaining, the dancers were hotter, and the (approx.) 100+ championship banners they have hanging over everyone's heads make you feel like you are a part of something incredible. I fucking hate the Celtics. And I don't like the Heat. But the Garden is the place to watch a basketball game. And LeBron was complete garbage.

I'm actually not wearing all black. I promise.
All in all, Boston was a hit. The city was alright, I wouldn't go out of my way to make a huge trip there but having good company there helped and there are definitely some very charming things about it. It always helps when you're surrounded by a bunch of All-Stars that know how to have a good time. Next time I'll be sprinting after Harvard girls.

And the best thing I did in Boston will go unmentioned. My mom reads this. There is one thing I came away wondering though. If they make so much money, why do they only buy "cheap" perfume?

Whatever it is...smells pretty damn good to me.

See you soon Conor + The Harvard Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment