Friday, January 15, 2010

Hatin' vs. Haiti


The destruction in Haiti is overwhelming and unbelievably sad. It is nice to see people trying to help in any way they can. It also puts a lot of things into perspective.

Most of the things I complain about may be seen as unbelievably trivial. I understand that. These are the things I obsess over an unhealthy amount of time. I've often been asked, "Why do you care so much?" But really, why wouldn't I care so much? Why don't you care so much? I can see why people think that my ramblings over "Thank You" cards, or whether to say a "Thank You" each time a person opens a door even if there are back-to-back-to-back doors, or whether it is appropriate to hit on a waitress, are just insecurities that I can't find peace with. But in my opinion, the way people act in social situations and their interactions with other people are a very accurate representation of who and what they are. Ultimately, I believe most are selfish, insecure, and overwhelmingly sad. Me too. So maybe these things aren't always trivial. They contribute to the bigger picture.

My point is, those of us who are blessed with privilege and safety should be vigilant in being as respectful and thoughtful as possible. We should be doing more to appreciate each other and the opportunities we have been given. It shouldn't take a natural disaster or a "terrorist" attack to make us realize we really do care about each other's pursuit of happiness. There are people suffering all over the world who would love to have the opportunity to be able to blog about fat people wearing skinny jeans. Let's not forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment