Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Century Mark.

This is my 100th "Play Pretty" post. 100 vignettes of complaining (or rap music videos) and counting. Thanks to my good buddy Adam, I came across a group of illustrations from 1910 by the French artist Villemard that depicted what life would be like at the turn of the century. We've all heard the jet pack stories and the mechanization of pretty much everything imaginable, but Villemard had some predictions that seem even more outlandish and really just a waste of time. Here are some of my favorites.

What the hell would the point of this be? Surely if you were rich enough to rent two blimps to carry over your mansion or chateau, you would be rich enough to just rebuild your previous home in a new land. The thing that disgusts me the most out of all of the ridiculousness of this picture is that bullshit flag flying proudly in between the two blimps.

It's apparent through these pictures and other predictions of the future from a hundred years ago that people were obsessed with flying. To them everything had to fly. What I don't get is why the police officer or traffic attendant has wings while everyone else is flying around in personalized airplanes. What are the benefits of wings? Surely this guy can't possibly flap them shits fast enough to catch up with an AIRPLANE. Does he think it looks cool? Is he directing traffic or is he acting as a speed light? Either way, what a degrading job. And if you look closely he's wearing one of those bullshit capes that I just completely adore. I didn't know you could have both. If you have a cape, surely you don't need wings and vice versa. If I saw a superhero with a cape and wings I would just think his super power was Redundancy. What does that entail? Kicking someone's ass twice?

Now I'm assuming this image is a visual representation of Villemard's idea of a podcast or a book on tape. If that's the case, then he really had a creative way of portraying it. Is that machine smashing the books into audio? Fair enough. I guess some people would say that the information from these books is being directly engrained into these students' brains. Not a bad idea. I'm a fan of kids getting knowledge from books. Just as long as those publications aren't the Twilight series or The Wall Street Journal. I must say that I am a bit suspicious of the guy who is administering this "class." What kind of books did a guy that looks like that pick out?

Since it's apparent Villemard predicted the increase in perverts (see last picture) it would have been really awesome to see him predict, "To Catch a Predator." I created my best visual representation of what his drawing would look like. Of course they wouldn't have Chris Hansen's cookies in France, they'd definitely have pastries. Pastries and berets. If this drawing was part of the series in 1910, plenty of lonely French dudes would have been terrified of the future because you know back in the day (and probably nowadays) there were shitloads of handlebar mustachioed men touchin' up on some boys.

What the fuck is going on here? Why would anyone agree to be the guy who is handing out drinks to assholes in planes? Is that plane flying by or is it hovering? C'mon Villemard, I know it's 1910 but stop half assing it. And stop promoting Drunk Flying. What happens if this asshole has one too many glasses of wine and starts flying recklessly? Is that fairy with the wings from your previous picture going to flap after him and arrest him? How would he go about getting the drunkard back to the precinct? The plane only has room for one and, well, trying to flap your wings with a drunk guy on your back would look a bit gay. Actually that should be advice on a poster at a gay club. "Don't flap your wings with a drunk on your back." Accompanied by a picture of a distraught looking gay man (with lots of makeup on) being disturbingly groped by a guy who has obviously had one too many drinks (preferably Mel Gibson). The possibilities are endless...

OK. This is my favorite. Not because I have no idea what is actually going on but because this is such a WHITE people thing to do. If I were to imagine a way the supremely (white) rich spend their weekends in the future it would be this. Being flown around in chariot planes while throwing flowers at your friends, all while laughing, talking about the latest re-run of Will & Grace, and looking down on brown people. If I were to imagine rich brown people in the future it would look a lot more like this.

A bit of this. And...

A lof of this. We all know brown people don't like to fly. We'd rather stunt with two feet on the ground. (And I couldn't find a picture of a flying Cadillac.)

That last picture of Villemard's that I posted made me notice something that I believe was his point. Take a closer look at all of those pictures. I even encourage you to look at the rest of them. I don't think Villemard was trying to make the best and most accurate predictions of what he imagined the future would be. All of these illustrations are footnotes to his real hopes and aspirations. Take a closer look. Life would be the same as it always was...

...filled with lavish dinners and maybe some flying. But his ideal future would be more than that. NO BROWN PEOPLE. Not a single one.

No comments:

Post a Comment