Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's a Photo, Shoot.

Depending on what day it is and depending on which girl I want to impress at work (and outside of work) you might catch me completely dressed down or completely dressed up. I never have set days of when I'm going to wear something nice or days I'm going to straight bum it. I tend to dress nicer towards the end of the week in a pathetic attempt to get the ladiez nice and slippery (for other dudes) for the weekend. And then there are some days where I'm having my diarrhea period and just feel like wearing a hoodie and some shitty ass shoes.

Since I've moved to New York I've been asked to have my picture taken probably around 10 times. Most times it's little girls from states that are just now getting into Abercrombie shirts and Von Dutch hats, who have never seen anybody wear a bowtie. Although I know their intent is harmless and naive, I don't ever let them take my picture. When they go back home and tell their boyfriends (who are just now getting into Lacoste polos and Affliction t-shirts) that they saw their first, "black boy with a bowtie" I want to force them to use their imaginations. I can't make it easy for them. A few other times it's been random people asking for a picture. I sometimes agree. It all depends on what country I think they are from. France, Japan, actually any Asian country is a "NO!" Any country south of the border is a "YES" and if the person is a cute woman (never happens) then forget all of what I just said, she's getting a picture. New York Magazine took about a hundred pictures of me (I'm not exaggerating) one day when I was dressed up and made me sign all kinds of waivers and fill out my information. I guess they (rightly) decided that I was too ugly for their Lookbook and probably went with somebody much cooler. Oh well. And today, my latest photographer was a cute girl who said she was doing a "fashion project" and would "really appreciate" it if I could pose for a picture. She could have asked me to sign over my will and I would have done it. (The joke would have been on her because all she would have gotten is about $42, an almost-done box of Kleenex, and a couple of glazed donuts.) I let her take a few pictures and I was on my way.

What are all of these people looking for? One day I can wear an outfit that makes me look like a Homo Pimp and the next day I can wear an outfit that makes me look like a reject and I still get asked to be photographed. I won't let myself change the way I dress in an attempt to be featured on some ridiculous fashion blog (yes I will) because I have no idea what these people are looking for and why bother? I guess what I've learned is that no matter what I am wearing, this "swag" doesn't pause. Believe that.

Homo Pimp.

Bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment