Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Girl Annie.

"Actually Hi, I'm Annie."

It's hard for me to come to terms with certain situations. I knew moving to New York would be a challenge financially and I'm really grateful I have a job but sometimes as I'm folding cashmere sweaters for the 5th straight hour I start to think, "No wonder I didn't get picked 'Most Likely To Succeed' in my 8th grade yearbook." I've met some really wonderful people and have shared some hilarious moments. But there is one real reason I am now truly grateful I have a job: My conversation with Annie Clark aka "St. Vincent."

When considering approaching her, I was as nervous as a depressed hillbilly girl waiting outside Justin Bieber's lesbian-mobile (I gave his tour bus that name) and I originally talked myself out of it. I didn't want to be one of those people that hands out verbal blowjobs and then has nothing else to say but I also didn't want to be one of those people that regrets not doing something. As I very obviously stared at her she turned around and realized that I wasn't even attempting to pretend like I wasn't being creepy. She was in line for the fitting room and I decided that I would hunt her down as soon as she exited. Of course the store manager decided that this would be a perfect time for me to go...you guessed it...fold some cashmere. As I was handing out, whatever the opposite of "verbal blowjobs" is, to myself I wondered how I was going to live with myself the next few days. That was when Ms. Clark appeared and walked straight towards me. As we locked eyes again we were about 15 feet apart and I decided to go for the gold. "Can I ask you a question?" Which is about the most pathetic question in the world, because it itself is a question. But I guess it's a trick, and I'm always talking about tricking people into thinking I'm cool. Of course she said, "Yes, of course." "Are you St. Vincent?" "Actually Hi, I'm Annie." And that's when she put out her hand and introduced herself. Boy was it marvelous. We talked about Chicago and New York, her music, my aspirations, what new music she's working on, and our eyewear. Ms. Annie Clark is straight stuntin' on her eyewear game. Let me tell you. I ended the conversation politely saying, "I don't want to keep you from your day but it was a pleasure and 'Thank You' for everything." She responded, "Good luck. And I must say you look really dapper. Your look is incredible. I love your glasses.' If yall didn't know. Marty been stuntin' on this eyewear game for a minute ya dig? Best believe that.

I've always wondered how sort of famous people react when they are approached by fans. Everyone can learn a lesson from Ms. Clark. She was thoroughly engaged in the conversation, showed a part of her personality, and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Even if she was pretending, which I'm sure she wasn't, she was marvelous at it. And this is why I am such a fan. She plays the prettiest.


My first St. Vincent experience.

My favorite St. Vincent song.


My favorite St. Vincent video.


Sometimes life ain't so bad. Oh yeah, in case you are wondering what title I earned in 8th grade: "Most Attitude." Boo-yow bitchez!

No comments:

Post a Comment